GUIDANCE FOR IACUC PROTOCOL REVIEW AND APPROVAL
In order to reduce regulatory burden, the requirement to allocate animal numbers to individual funding sources within an IACUC protocol has been removed effective Friday April 10th, 2020. Approved animal numbers will now be allocated at the whole-protocol level. Animal usage within and through the School of Medicine Division of Animal Resources and Yerkes Division of Animal Resources will require that you allocate animals to a specific funding source upon purchase, transfer, or weaning. However, animal usage number will subtract from the total number of animals approved in the protocol, not a subtotal for each funding source as occurs currently. Principal Investigators will still have the responsibility to appropriately charge animals to individual funding sources, however they will no longer be required to document that within the context of the IACUC protocol.
HOW THIS CHANGES IACUC PROTOCOL SUBMISSIONS
The hope is that this will simplify protocol approval and will greatly reduce the time required to add additional funding subsequent to initial approval. In order to take full advantage of this change, PIs should do the following going forward:
- Write protocols describing everything you plan to do over within the next three years (note this would not be dependent upon current funding). Note that you can elect to have more than one protocol covering different aspects of your research program. However, we would still suggest the same approach in regard to that area of your research efforts.
- Develop experiments and experimental plans based on the science and not segregated by funding source or individual grant.
- Provide justification for the number of animals at the protocol level and include everything planned as detailed above.
- Once new funding is obtained, review the animal numbers and procedures/experiments in the parent protocol.
- Submit an amendment to add the funding source and any animal numbers or procedures/experiments as required.
- Note that if the original approved protocol adequately covers the new funding with regards to animals, experiment explanations, and experimental procedures, no additions to animals or experiments will be needed and the funding source alone can be added NOTE: The IACUC office will still need the new grant application, and will be required to perform a grant-to-protocol congruence analysis (for federal funding).
PROTOCOL REVIEW AND APPROVAL GUIDANCE
- POSITION STATEMENTS REGARDING IACUC REVIEW EXPECTATIONS
- GUIDANCE ON AVOIDING EXCESSIVE AMMENDMENT SUBMISSION
- GENERATION AND USE OF STANDARD AND TEAM PROCEDURES
- eIACUC Full Instruction Manual
OFFICE STAFF REVIEW ASSIGNMENTSOffice staff designations for protocol submission assistance (By first initial of PI last name):
C-H: Jessica Goldman
Phone: (404) 727-3196
I-O: Tiesha Murray
Phone: (404) 712-0731
B and P-T: Walter “Guy” Wiles IV
Phone: (404) 712-2033
A and U-Z: Tina Horton;
Phone: (404) 727-4651
FACILITATION PROGRAM AND PILOT DATA
MEETING SCHEDULE AND REVIEW SUBMISSION DEADLINESThe IACUC Committee meets on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the Month. Deadlines for FCR review are the Wednesday one week PRIOR to the meeting date for the agenda to be disseminated to members. DMR reviews are rolling submissions and do not have a “deadline”.